Are you looking for an opportunity to travel abroad and engage in meaningful community service? Do you want to take your work with NGC and expand it to new horizons?!
New Global Citizens and Global Leadership Adventures are teaming up this spring to provide travel opportunities to a few lucky New Global Citizens team members! GLA presents a fresh, new approach to service-learning abroad for intellectually-curious and socially-oriented teenagers. Programs are offered in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. To learn more about GLA, go here.
Thanks to a generous scholarship grant from Global Leadership Adventures, 4 very lucky New Global Citizens will be given the opportunity to travel the world and make a difference globally- extending their service beyond US soil!
Those interested in entering the contest should highlight their passion for service through a video or essay. In three minutes or less per video/500 words or less per essay,
Answer the question:
How are you a global citizen?
Additionally, you can address any or all of the following:
– Explain the issue plaguing the world today that you’re passionate about.
– What have you learned as a result of your involvement with this issue?
– How do you intend to contribute to positive change in your future endeavors?
Starting on March 1st, you can submit your winning video via email to Maggie@newglobalcitizens.org. Emails must contain your name, your NGC team’s name/school affiliation, your contact information (email and phone number), and your submission (attached essay or link to your video on YouTube). The contest will officially close on April 1, 2013.
Judges will be looking for creativity, originality, live action shots, and interesting discussion around your global issue. Points will be given for use of action footage, and further points can be earned with the added use of animation, music, and slides to tell your story in the most comprehensive and dynamic manner possible.
Upload your video to the New Global Citizen’s Facebook Page and earn one extra point for every “Like” the video garners.
Upload your essay via a Note to your Facebook page and tag New Global Citizens. Earn one extra point for every “Like” the Note garners.
After totaling the judges’ scores, we will add the total of extra points to your final score – your “Likes” have the power to tip the scales in your favor.
1st Place: One full scholarship for a 10-Day GLA Program (airfare not included)
3 Runner Ups: $500 scholarships for any 2- or 3- week GLA Program
RULES AND GUIDELINES
1) All film submissions must be under 3 minutes in length.
2) All essay submissions must be 500 words or less.
2) The last day for submission will be Monday, April 1st. Films will be judged at a panel after the Submission Close date. Your submission links, attachments, etc. must be emailed to Maggie@newglobalcitizens.org by 5 PM PST. Uploads to Facebook will not count solely as submissions.
3) Videos and Notes uploaded to the New Global Citizens Facebook Fan Page which garner “Likes” will receive one point for every Like received. These points will be added to the judges’ final scores and factored in the decisions of 1st place and Runners-Up position. DISCLAIMER: New Global Citizens reserves the right to deny prizes to winners who use inadmissible and illegitimate ways to collect votes, such as click fraud, unauthorized ads, etc.
4) The first place Full Scholarship prize is redeemable for any 10-day trip. All three runners up scholarships of $500 each are applicable to all 2- or 3-week GLA programs.
5) Prizes are redeemable only during Summer 2013.
6) One submission (video OR essay, but not both) per student.
7) In the event that the first place winner is unable to claim prize, the 2nd place runner up will be awarded the grand prize full scholarship.
8) Prizes are not redeemable or transferrable. Prizes have no cash value.
9) No purchase necessary to enter.
10) First Place Full Scholarship does not include fees outside of Program Fee and International Airfare (visas, passport fees, travel to airport, etc)
11) Space in program is based on availability. Full scholarships and partial scholarships will be applicable to GLA programs that still have space available for Summer 2013.